Sunday, September 2, 2012

Antique Needlework Tools

One of my favorite things to do is scour antique stores or markets for old needlework tools. There is a wonderful antique market in Toronto where I find the most marvelous items to add to my collection.
Gay Ann Rodgers published a wonderful book .This is a great source of information and fascinating to read.


There is a website  you should look at :

Here you will find miniature etuis( small decorative containers popular in the second half of the 19th century) as well as other beautiful tools. A few of my favorites are the Quaker pincushion , a tartan tape measure and a miniature walnut etui holding a pair of tiny scissors, red scent bottle , a silver thimble and needle case.  I often wonder about the items I have and the stories behind them- who used them , what did the ladies talk about when they were stitching together , what were they stitching and how did they come to end up in the shop I purchase them from? If only these items could tell their stories!
Just to test you a little - do you know what this is?
One of my lovely customers sent a picture to me and asked me to identify it for her. So look for the answer coming soon on this blog. But I don't want to give it away until you have a chance to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment